Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Mommy Tips: Just sing... sing a song...

Oompa Loompa
Any Mommy book you buy will tell you - sing to your baby. Singing to your baby is very important because it helps them develop language skills and it's a great way to soothe and calm a baby. When Junebug first came home the whole singing thing kinda stressed me out. First of all, I don't think I'm the greatest singer so I got worried that I sound like an idiot... you get over that real quick as the baby really doesn't mind when you don't hit the notes. But worst of all - what song do I sing?! You want to sing something pretty and soothing but most times in the moment, it's hard to think of a song that fits all of the above. So I just threw all those self imposed rules away and just started singing whatever came to mind. What's most important is to sing... sing anything! Here are the most sung tunes around the nursery:
1) "The Oompa Loompa song" - Don't ask me why... it's easy and it's rhythmic and one day it just started coming out of my mouth -
"OOMPA LOOMPA DOOMPADEE DOO
I'VE GOT A PERFECT PUZZLE FOR YOU
OOMPA LOOMPA, DOOMPADAH DEE
IF YOU ARE WISE YOU'LL LISTEN ME...
OOMPA LOOMPA DOOMPADEE DAH
IF YOU'RE NOT GREEDY YOU WILL GO FAR
YOU WILL LIVE IN HAPPINESS TOO
LIKE THE OOMPA LOOMPA DOOMPADEE DO
DOOMPADEE DOO"
2) The Free Credit Report dot com jingle- You can file this one under Mommy watches too much TV!
"F-R-E-E that spells FREE... credit report dot com baby; blah blah blah blah blah blah; credit report dot com baby!"
3) The Pirates of the Caribbean Disneyland ride song - come on! you know how it goes - "yo ho, yo ho, a pirates life for me"... that's right... this one can be chocked up to Mommy is going delirious and having flashbacks to childhood.
4) Tito's Tacos jingle - I guess only someone who watches too much TV would sing this to their baby - "I love titos tacos, you love titos too, I love titos tacos, what else can you do -oo? you know we've got delicious burritos, tacos, enchiladas too... the only thing better than tito's tacos is TWO!"
5) "This Little Piggy Went to Market" - this is probably the sweetest, nicest song in my repertoire. I stole the arrangement from a CD called jazz lullabies. Most of it goes the same as the rhyme but when you get to the "this little piggy went weeeeeeee.... all the way home" it's changed to "this little piggy went wee, wee, wee, wee, wee, wee, wee, wee, wee, wee.... all the way home" - Junebug goes crazy - she loves it!

No comments:

Post a Comment