Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Mommy Tips: This week's nursery playlist

1. If I Were A Carpenter - This is a fantastic tribute to The Carpenters album recorded in the early '90s.  I can't think of a better way to introduce my baby to bands like Sonic Youth and Redd Kross.  Songs like "Top of the World" will make you wanna boogie and "We've Only Just Begun" and "Close To You" might bring some tears.  And "Let Me Be the One You Run To" by Matthew Sweet is worth the price of admission - love him!

2. Rockabye! Queen - the whole series of Rockabye records are really cool but it doesn't get much better than Queen!  Although is it wrong to sing "Bohemian Rhapsody" to your baby? I don't know, but it's kinda fun.  I'll tell you what IS wrong though - Rockabye! Nine Inch Nails!  I love me some Trent Reznor but seriously, don't sing "Closer" to your baby!

3. Rockabye! The Cure - did I say there was a better Rockabye record than this one? I lied.  The Cure gets top props for the most spins in the nursery, hands down. (Sorry Coldplay).

4. The Beatles "Love" Soundtrack - I went to see "Love" in Vegas when I was about 7 months pregnant and playing it back now in the nursery brings back great memories.  Giles Martin, son of Sir George did such an amazing job remixing these Beatles classics, it's a must.  Junebug loves it when I sing "Yesterday" and "Something" to her.

5. Classic Bedtime - On a quiet Sunday morning, I like to rock some straight up Beethoven, Chopin and Mozart.  Plus, isn't that supposed to make my baby smart? I know I feel smarter after 5 weeks of listening to this.

(www.amazon.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment